Saturday, March 31, 2012

Goals

So I have a lot of things that I want to learn how to do. When I've told people this- I've heard numerous things from, "Good luck with that" to "How will you find time to get that stuff done?" Well, as anyone who knows me knows, I appreciate a good challenge. And, if I want something bad enough then I like to figure out how I can get it. I am a big planner. I will say, I've been tired a lot. For some reason the past week or so, I've had a really hard time sleeping. However, somehow, I've been able to function just fine during the day- for the most part.

Anyway, this post isn't about that. It's about some goals/improvements that I'd like to make. I want to learn how to make cakes. I've never really made a home-made-from-scratch cake before. And, any cake that I've ever made, I've left in the pan and just frosted it in the pan. But, I want to learn how to make pretty cakes, not in the pan. So this past week, I made a layered carrot cake. I want to make a carrot cake for my baby's 1st birthday (because I feel like carrot cake must be healthier than just a white or chocolate cake, right? Right?) I want to do a "Where the Wild Things Are" theme, and so I'd love to make a circle cake- which I don't even have circle cake pans- and create a monster's head from "Where the Wild Things Are" (something like this cake).

So, I practiced and the cake tasted really delicious- at least I thought so. It wasn't the most fabulous looking cake, but I had to work with what I had. I'd really love to take some Wilton Cake Decorating classes. So I'm going to look into that this month.



 I'd also really like to work on my photography. I really like photography. I love photographing people the most. I think I'm okay- but I definitely have a lot to learn. A lot! I know next to nothing about editing.  So that's something I need to learn as well, which will take time. But this past week, I had the opportunity to take my own baby's Easter pictures and a friend asked me to take some family pictures for  her family, which was also fun and it was a great experience. I don't have a lot of practice taking indoor pictures- especially at night. I know what places in my house offer good lighting during the day- but taking pictures indoors, especially at night, is a whole other beast- one that I really need to learn to tackle and conquer. But, in preparing to take those photos and then the practice that I had taking them, I learned a lot more what my camera can do. Also, a friend asked me to take pictures of her adorable little girl today, too. It's great getting to practice with other people- besides my own little family.


Also, I want to learn how to sew. A couple of weeks ago, I made kind of a lame pillow case cover from an old sheet. But this week, I made my very own skirt. I am quite pleased with the finished product. The awesome part of this- besides the fact that it took me hours and I didn't give up- is that I did it all without a pattern. Go me! :) (It's nothing that fabulous- but it's only my second sewing project and I'm proud of myself for figuring it out.)






Anyway, it's been really great being able to work on all of these goals this past week. Yes, I still have a lot to learn, but I am working on things that I want to do for myself- and that feels good. :)

2 comments:

  1. I also have a bunch of stuff I want to do. It's hard to be patient with myself, though, as I slowly work on them... super slowly (sometimes not at all). But I just remind myself that on the priority list some things are not as high as other things, and so it's okay if it takes me a while to work on them. It's good to keep at it, though.

    ReplyDelete