Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Admission

Yesterday, I stayed in my pajamas all day long. It was just one of those days. My baby boy was pretty fussy, even though he had two naps. The night before (Sunday night), he had slept for five hours straight, which is amazing for him- even at almost 9 months. But after those five straight hours, he was up every hour. It was exhausting for both of us. After he got up the second time Sunday night/early Monday morning, the two of us just slept in the guest bed. That was easier on the whole family.

Like I said, he had two naps yesterday- a morning nap and an afternoon nap. They were induced naps, meaning, when he was clearly tired (which honestly, I think he was just tired all day), I put him in his crib, sang to him and turned on the hair dryer for a few minutes. Then I turned the hair dryer off and he continued to sleep.

Instead of taking a shower, getting dressed and combing my hair while he napped, I worked on other things- like, among other things,  cleaning the house, researching birthday party ideas for him and I completed my first ever sewing project.

I have these really ugly throw pillows that I've wanted to recover for forever. I just got a sewing machine for my birthday which was in Jan. and I haven't had a chance to sew anything yet, after a friend came over and spent some time showing me how to work the thing. But yesterday, I got out an old sheet and went to work. It took me the length of one of little man's entire naps, which now I realize is ridiculous, to sew one cover. (And this is after I had already cut the fabric).



Here's the finished product. It isn't pretty, but I'm still proud of it.





Also, I decided last week that I wanted to try something new with the wee bit. I thought I would sort of provide him with more structured activities. So I created a weeks worth of activities. The whole day isn't structured of course, but we do structured activities in the morning and then again in the afternoon and then what ever happens in between, we'll take it how it is.

Well, the first day didn't exactly go as planned. Partly because, like I'd already mentioned, he was pretty cranky all day. There was a lot of holding, cuddling, playing outside still though. And we did do a couple of the structured activities- one being music time and the other was this:


And boy did he LOVE playing with the cooked spaghetti!! That was a highly successful activity and we'll definitely be doing it again.

We went outside several times during the day and he would bang sticks and try to eat rocks. He also noticed little ants and tried catching them. It was quite adorable.

Okay, so even though I stayed in my pjs all day, we had a good, productive day at home. And, I was able to work on one of my goals for the year- learn how to sew. And, when my husband came home, I showered and later last night I made a yummy banana cake.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally going to try the spaghetti activity sometime (probably after my little guy gets some teeth). It looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete